Thursday, May 31, 2007

She's lost the key of the door...

If you have ever lost an important key you will know the awful sick-in-the-tummy feel that Val experienced this week.

Yes, it was pretty bad - I still don't know if I actually lost my passport or weather it was stolen. I went to such lengths to have it in a pouch on my person the whole way and when I arrived at the Rubins place I seem to remember saying I can take it off now - but that is vague - it may well have been dropped or stolen at the airport - the pouch with the passport and itinerary all disappeared mysteriously.

The poor things they had us turning their entire apartment upside down and inside out and we emptied every bag three times etc., etc., and finally we had to contact the Australian Consulate who were very helpful.

In brief, we had to re-apply for a new one, have lots of documents faxed to their office to prove who I was and that I was married to Kevin - it certainly caused me great stress and Kev many hours of skyping and phone calls scanning documents in Wayne's office, Wayne printing screeds for us, Wayne driving us to downtown LA to the Consulate etc. - all took several days. I am happy to say that we had a call from the Consulate last night (30th) to say all was well and it would be forwarded to our address in Massechussetts in time to reach us before we leave the country.

What we would have done without the back-up team of Sarah-Jane, Linda and Rach at home I do not know. The exclamation " You waaarrrt.....you laaaaast your paaasssport" from folks here with incredulous expressions on their faces leaves me a bit shaken to say the least!

No comments: