Thursday, June 14, 2007

Val feels like a criminal!

Our departure from Washington to Massachusetts was interesting - quite different from anywhere else - because I (Val) didn't have my passport I was traveling on my Driver's License as ID. The Security lady in Building number 1 (there are several gi-nourmous buildings in the airport that you have to go through before you actually get out to the departure lounge) let Kevin go through but didn't like the look of me and wrote a secret sign on my boarding pass which I soon discovered meant "suspicious".

I had to line up with a few others to be searched thoroughly and have my hand luggage totally unpacked and checked. I noticed that the rest of the people being searched were all from the Middle East and Africa - but you know, all the time I was thinking I'm glad they are checking us - just a bit surprised that I was in this particular line.

Finally, I was free to I go - then I had to enter another huge building and into a "moving room" which took us to another building, we were then getting closer to the plane. We were in the Departure lounge when they told us that the plane was delayed an hour. Finally we were on the plane - there we sat for another hour because "the hold was not loaded according to procedure and had to be re-loaded". Well, by now, we were just about cooking as it was 35 outside and on the tarmac was probably a bit hotter - and there were 50 of us sitting like sardines - not pleasant. They finally kindly brought us all a glass of warm water to ease our stress!! So the end of the saga - we arrived nearly three hours late.

It was so nice to arrive into cooler weather - it is very pleasant here and it has rained a couple of days - I had forgotten how bright green everything is - such different greens to home.

This was only meant to be a one hour flight but it took up most of the day. Imagine how thrilled we were to see our dear friend, Ken Machonis waiting anxiously for our belated arrival!

No comments: